Every single one them has made their mark on the world around us. Every single one of them has done things, made things or created things differently.
And all are from Nottinghamshire.
Byron, like DH Lawrence, was a rebellious creative. Ada Lovelace – Byron’s daughter – was a mathematician who worked with Charles Babbage on the idea for the first computer. Dr Adams and Nobel laureate Sir Peter were responsible for medical breakthroughs which have changed lives around the world. Sir Paul defined the trend for classic fashion with a creative English twist.
This reoccurring desire to drive change lives on in a range of businesses and industries which put the Nottinghamshire economy ahead of its time. Life sciences? We’ve been doing it since the 1950s. The digital economy? For us, it dates back to the 1970s.
Today, we’re home to major brands like Experian, Boots, Speedo, Capital One, Paul Smith. The knowledge-driven environment these businesses foster has given birth to a new generation of creative digital enterprises that rank Nottingham as a major centre for tech development and business growth.
Entrepreneurial and edgy, creative with an independent streak. Change happens here.
Killer Nottingham facts
- Nottingham has the highest growth for private sector jobs in the midlands
- Nottingham is the third most entrepreneurial city in the UK
- Nottingham is the home to global brand Paul Smith and is the fastest-growing city for fashion start-ups
- Over £1 billion invested in Nottingham’s infrastructure, with £570 million invested in the expansion of the award-winning tram network
- Nottingham named top city in the UK for making your salary stretch further
- Ibuprofen and the MRI scanner were invented in Nottingham
- Walgreens Boots Alliance is the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise in the world, with Boots being founded and headquartered in Nottingham
- Nottingham is in the top two UK cities for green spaces
- Hockley in Nottingham in top 20 best cultural places to live
- The average house price in Nottingham is 3x less than in London
- Nottingham ranked as one of UK’s trendiest locations
- Nottingham is in the top 30 European retail rankings
- With over 60,000 students, Nottingham has one of the youngest populations in the UK
- Nottingham Trent University named UK’s greenest university
- University of Nottingham is a world top 100 university
- Nottingham transport named best in the UK
- Nottingham’s independent restaurant and bar scene growth is third biggest in the UK